I was reviewing several old resumes
while preparing this page....After I woke up from the nap they induced,
and recovered from the headache caused by all that gong banging,
I determined that the Cliff's Notes version of a C.V. is probably
all anyone should ever be required to peruse. So, forthwith...
A Short Curriculum Vitae:
My name is Laura J. Silver and I design
web sites based on fifteen years of experience in
the fields of marketing and advertising. I am also a freelance copywriter
with specializations in marketing/ad materials, real estate, and
the medical field.
After a 10-year initial career as a
Paramedic, Primary EMT Instructor, and Adult Ed Instructor for Basic
Medical Terminology, injuries forced a career change and I began
training as a copywriter and learning how to use computers.
Since 1991 I have held positions of increasing responsibility, primarily in the
publishing industry, culminating in the Position of
Marketing/Circulation/Web Designer-Manager for a small but elite international
trade magazine. In that position I increased gross income 60% in 18 months on a 2%-of-gross budget; increased web orders 250%; and brought renewal rates to and average of 76% (80% is the holy grail of magazine publishing.)
I have been freelancing "on the side" in various aspects of marketing since 1995. I added web design to my skill set in 1998, and began taking on freelance clients for web design in 2001. Since 2005 it has become the primary focus of my business and I now freelance full time.
In 2006 I added ecommerce start-ups. For smaller client businesses I have worked with shopping carts from ShopSite (recommended) and GoDaddy (not recommended). I have partnered with UniteU to allow Retail Pro Integration for one of my larger clients. For clients who wish to use other ecommerce/shopping cart software, I will learn the software they want to use at no charge, and implement it at contracted rates.
Good Marketing Design for Your Site
My marketing background allows me to design clear, concise, and easy-to-use web sites that put your product or service in the best light. Site visitors are more likely to become buyers (and repeat buyers!) if finding products and information is easy, and the purchasing process painless.
All my site designs include:
- Registration of your domain (site) name if you have not already done so
- Set up with the domain host of your choice (I recommend PowWeb.com for low rates and full ecommerce functionality, but will work with your preferred or existing host.)
- A clear, easy-to-use site design based on a look and color scheme that you approve
- All necessary photo and graphics creation or manipulation
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) with meta tags, keywords, and searchable text
- Submission of your site to more than 30 of the top search engines, including
Google, Yahoo, and MSN
- Reciprocal links to raise your search-engine ranking
- Email marketing campaigns
- Recommendations for web advertising
- Marketing tie-ins to your print, TV, radio, and other advertising
- Print-ad design and submission
- Marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, postcards, etc.
• Contract rate is $65/hour, billed in quarter-hour increments
• Non-profit rates available